Friday, February 16, 2007

Vestiges of Fat Phobia


6:45 am. It's a high intensity weight day and I am not up for it. I remember how much I have benefited from taking a rest day when my body wants it, plus I have to get my book proposal out today for the sake of my own sanity. It's a deal.

7:15 am. what else?
12:15 pm. There seems to be a rather large space in my stomach that would like to be filled. I order a small cup of soup -clear broth and a bite of chicken with a few veggie type things. Then I get my usual Thai veggies with steamed tofu, and alas, white rice. I go from a 0.25 to a 3.0 on my scale.

I'm still hungry by the time I return and have visions of my Zen roll. Today it will be eaten with the absolutely delectable cheese I bought for my hubby on Valentines Day. I can't wait, but I have no choice.

3:45 pm. The roll with a schmear of "La Tur" cheese that has been sitting at room temperature for the last two days developing it's stinkyness. It tastes like clotted cream with an attitude. Heaven. The schmear goes on one half (the smaller), the other I eat plain. I know it's a lot richer than my usual string cheese, and I want to be hungry for dinner.
7:30 pm. I really didn't want to cook, but one has to eat. I assemble the easiest meal I can manage. Then get a little carried away with the cous cous.
Whole wheat couscous seasoned with sauteed onion, sundried tomatoes, and garlic crushed right into the water. I'm feeling reckless so I put in what I consider a lot of butter. It's probably about 1T, maybe a bit more for the batch I make for my family of four, with leftovers.
Years ago, when already thin, but a nutcase about it, I figured out that fat caries a lot of calories for it's volume. To me, that meant bad value. So I eliminated virtually all fat from my diet. I remember eating huge volumes of food, and never feeling satisfied, in spite of quantities that would make an NFL player proud.
I've since relaxed my standards, as evidenced by my whole milk cappuccinos, and I'm much the happier for it. Still, my benchmark for fat quantities seems to be dramatically lower than it is for most. Butter goes on bread in a gossamer schmear. Oil coats the pan, and the remains are drained out. Salad dressing goes on lightly, or on the side. Good or bad, it works for me.
Oh yes, the rest of diner.
More left over red beans. A bit of cheese - Spanish Manchengo. Very nice with the beans, and a salad. I eat an impressive quantity of the cous cous, which is quite tasty.
1 medium bowl of cereal puts me to bed.


No comments: