Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A day I'd rather not report

But I've made the commitment, so here it goes!

7:15 am I started the day with a jog over the hill and through the Castro to my gym, where I did a weight workout, and jogged back.Note to self: lying in bed after the alarm has gone off is a very bad time to make a decision about exercise. Thank God I ignored my brain as it searched for a plausible reason to keep me in bed.

8:35 am. I'm seriously hungry. No time to mess around, I have a 9:00 am client. My usual oatmeal, grapes and a home-made decaf. capp.Again, I was starving by mid-am, but a cup of roibosh with milk got me through.

12:30 pm Thai veggies with steamed tofu and rice. Yum. And only $4.95 at the local Thai restaurant. One of the few bargains in this city-great food.Not quite enough, but I made it to

2:00 pm. Another Zen bakery raisin bun bit the dust.

6:30 pm. At my kids school, where I'm volunteering. There's a spread of food for the volunteers, and I have little time to eat it. I don't enjoy a meal like this, but I'm starving as usual so:

1 egg roll
1st and 2nd servings of spinach salad with toasted pecans and some kind of blue cheese. Not bad. 1 piece of slightly greasy middle-eastern bread with a bit of Brie and a handful of the biggest raspberries I've ever seen
small cup of red wine

Paper plate, plastic fork. Standing. Not a lot of ritual here.I

'm not particularly hungry when I get home, but I'm feeling unsatisfied and the whole family is tucking into their after dinner cereal. I want my share, and I want my ritual. So I serve a small bowl. Now I'm really not hungry, but I have another bowl anyway.Tonight I sit on the sofa, free from tempting text distracting me from the task at hand-enjoying the cereal that I probably shouldn't be eating.My jeans have been a bit tighter than I like lately, so I'm wanting to eat less than usual. Tonight didn't qualify. It was a holding pattern night. There are worse things.

Plus, the tight jeans could have something to do with the squats I've been doing at the gym on my lift-the-butt campaign.Lesson learned-eat a small snack before I go, skip the rushed, united nations buffet meal, and eat in a relaxed manner at home. Not ideal, but better. After all, I'm going public with it!

No comments: